Thursday 3 May 2012

The Power of Feedback

One of the first things I learned from my creative writing course was how essential it was to get feedback on your work. Seclusion in a garret with just an ink pot and a cat for company is all very romantic, but makes the business of coming up with a decent piece of writing much more difficult - in fact I'd go as far as saying that any writer worth his or her salt would never dream of writing in complete isolation. I'm a member of a couple of writing groups, two on-line and one in St Albans (ra ra Verulam Writers' Circle!), none of which I manage to give as much time to as I would like (I won't go into the 10-hr shifts at work 4 days a week, barely conscious by 8.30pm spiel), but I couldn't do without them. They have moulded me into the writer that I am and will, hopefully, keep moulding me into the writer I would like to be.

The most essential writing tool I have, however, is one-person shaped (she's also now a close and highly valued friend). Marie Henderson-Brennan (keep an eye out for that name because one day you'll see her plays on West End stages) and I sat in a pub last night with the intention of going to the VWC meeting at 8.00. We usually meet up early so that we can have a catch up and talk writing before we wander over to St Michael's. We discussed the play she's writing for her final OU exam and thrashed out some character motivations and plot twists, by which time it was just after 7.30. We were gearing ourselves up to leave when she said, 

'Oh, by the way, I read the first couple of chapters of your book ...'

I knew she was up to her eyeballs in reading and writing with both her courses zooming towards final exam pieces, so hadn't expected her to have had the time to look. Let's just say that when we next checked the time it was 8.45 and we had missed most of the VWC meeting (felt so guilty about that that we crept out of the pub by 10 so that we wouldn't bump into any of the VWCers coming in to the pub for their usual post meeting chat).

Marie's feedback and the subsequent throwing around of ideas and re-hashing of plots, fleshing out of characters has made the world of difference. It means that most of the last half of the book needs to be chucked and re-written, but to be able to sit and have a conversation where I could say, no, she wouldn't ever do that because and his motivation is less this and more that, has solidified in my mind what I'm writing. I didn't realise I know my characters as well as I do. All I have to do is sit and write it (which I'm not doing while I'm writing this, so I'm going now).

So, to round up, should I ever be so lucky as to get into print, the first name on the acknowledgements page will be Marie's. Couldn't do it without you, kid! Thank you for being my writing buddy.

And to VWC - I'm there in spirit, if not in body, every Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Shame on you for missing the meeting in order to better yourself. Such selfishness. (said he, who probably can't get to any for the rest of the season due to a leg operation).

    Incidentally, I take issue with the subtitle of this blog - "The Thoughts and Scribblings of a Prospective Author"

    You are already an author. Prospective ones haven't written anything yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin - Am I only an author once I've been published/paid for my work and a simply a writer until then?

      Delete
  2. Awww, thanks sweetie :) And where would I be without you? If it hadn't been for you last night I wouldn't have discovered that Matt is having an affair with a gay copper, Zoe is pregnant, Steve is Lily's father and Lou is going to screw the lot of them for the lottey money! I knew that lot were trouble - just didn't realise quite how much :) Thanks for helping me to work it out - it was brilliant fun talking plots all night! xxx

    ReplyDelete