Thursday 19 July 2012

Moving on then

I've had a couple of interesting conversations over the past week which have caused me to sit back and think. The first was at the VWC end of year party. I was asked to explain what my WIP was about, having answered the inevitable (when amongst a group of writers) question,

'What are you writing at the moment?'

I said I was editing and redrafting a novel I had started some time before, in an attempt to make a silk purse out of what might or might not be a sow's ear. A few sage nods and sympathetic glances that conveyed that this particular journey was going to take me down a well-travelled path, led onto the next question.

'What's it about?'

Once again I stumbled. I thought I'd got it sussed. Other than a stuttering,

'Well, essentially it's a love story, but it's coming from a different angle.'

I fumbled and blustered and realised that I really didn't know what, if anything, I was trying to say with this book. I made the comment,

'I'm trying to work out if putting together these unlikely viewpoints is making an interesting contrast or if they're just not sitting together.'

I also said something about trying to marry up smoked salmon and marmalade. Hmm.

The voice of the old writing is different from the voice of the new. I can't get them to gel. That is probably because the original was written before I learned any technique or crafting. It's like looking at a 16-year old donning make up and high heels in order to hit the town with a group of 20-year olds. The gaucheness bellows through the slap and the outfit. I think if I'm ever going to tell this particular story, I would need to scrap the lot and start again. One of the first things you learn as a writer - you have to kill your darlings. There are some great bits of dialogue in the old version. I love them, but they're written by an author who doesn't exist any more. No-one is ever likely to read the context around:

'You don't read, Alex. You buy Heat magazine and look at the pictures,' or

'Can I interest you in two female children? Both only slightly soiled.'

Sigh. I really liked those lines. They're going back in the drawer from whence they came. A sow's ear indeed.

When one door closes, however, you often find you have the key to another clasped in your hot little hand. I have had the idea for something new bubbling away for a few months now. I wrote a brief character outline for the four main protagonists this week, one of whom is going to be an unreliable narrator. It's a brilliant technique if it's done well. I thought I would need to study a few UNs to see how it's done. Gillespie & I by Jane Harris is a great example, but I read that for entertainment and therefore was sort of ignoring the scaffolding. I'd have to read it again with a different hat on. I wasn't sure I'd be able to pull it off. I then had a (very lovely) catch up with Paula, who I've known since we were very small children. In amongst the lamentations on the effects of ageing and weight gain on the body (the wind-creating effects of one particular diet's snack bars had the other coffee drinkers staring at us as we laughed in a very unrestrained manner), Paula made a remark that I've since realised was an absolute godsend. I was describing a family member and their view of how their life had panned out. I had already expressed the opinion that they were in denial over their own responsibility in a number of situations, but that I thought it was true that someone else had certainly had a significant influence. Paula looked at me quizzically and raised her eyebrows. She's done that before and said she remembers a situation differently.

'That's not how you saw it, is it?'

She gave me her version and I realised, I don't have to read up on UNs. I have one clasped close in the bosom of my own family. And I have to say, they are a master practitioner.

I then started thinking that, in our own way, we are all UNs. It goes along with my theory that there is never one truth in any situation, because every participant and observer will remember the situation through the filter of their own strengths and weaknesses and life experience and for the after effects on their own life. There is an unreliable narrator in all of us. Maybe if we recognised that, we might start to understand one another better.

1 comment:

  1. That VWC conversation seems somehow familiar, Danielle ;)

    I love your line: "... they're written by an author who doesn't exist any more." It's exactly the problem I had with my first attempt at novel writing, but I've never rationalised or expressed the problem as clearly as you've just done.

    We learn, we move on, and that progress is our reward. No tears over perceived past disasters (which as Kipling said are all imposters, anyway) no goodbyes or wistful revisits. Onward and upward.

    I also agree totally with you observation that we are all unreliable narrators, and your words about memory being "...through the filter of our ... life experience..." is pretty much word-for-word in line with ideas I have expressed before, i.e., that remembering is less 'replaying' memories than 'reassembling' them from fragments dispersed around our brains... and this is where the 'filter' introduces the unreliability. We may be honest people and speak the truth, but it is always OUR version.

    Good luck with that new project.

    Speak again soon.

    Oscar

    ReplyDelete