Saturday 14 May 2011

I'm back!

Did you miss me?

I've been busily scribbling away for my last set of assessed and exam pieces. I got an 89% for my Life Writing and am now awaiting my mark for my last assessed piece.  Our exam is due in on 2 June.  My submission currently lies in pieces.  My task this weekend is to start re-assembling it.  I have taken heart from the many quotes from authors on the subject of editing.  As you can see, I'm finding something else to do first.  The prospect is daunting.  Who would have believed that simply re-arranging words on a page could fill a human heart with such terror?

The end of my first year at the OU draws ever closer.  I began with the hope of improving my technique and finding out the tricks of the trade, the blueprint to writing a good story.  I am ending the year understanding that there is no magic formula.  There is a list of rules, but these have been broken by many good writers.  However, you do have to understand them and be able to work within the rules before you can start breaking them successfully.  What is essential, more than anything else, is hard work.  Write, write, write and then read it out to anyone who will listen.  Listen to the rhythm and and the flow.  Listen also to the feedback you get from your audience.  Remember you are writing for the reader and they can't see inside your head.  Then edit your work until every word with which you are left is essential, even if it means cutting out the bits you love. And when you aren't writing, read.  Read everything.  Grow a thick skin; cultivate tenacity; have self belief and develop your endurance.  Don't give up.

I am going to post some of my old work and also some of the work I have done during my OU course.  I hope you will be able to see the difference.  I hope you will like what you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment