Sunday 13 March 2011

... and we've been told there's no such thing as writer's block!

I have a very exciting week ahead.  On Wednesday I am going down to deepest Wiltshire with a couple of OU friends for a 3-day residential course at a place called Urchfont Manor.  It's run as an add-on to our writing course and will concentrate on preparing our pieces for our last two TMAs and our EMA.  The thought of spending three days entirely devoted to writing is filling me with glee.  Actually, it's not three days, it's more like two - we have the first workshop 8.00 - 9.00 on Wednesday evening and the last one 11.30 - 1.00 on Friday.  However, being able to immerse myself in the whole subject of writing and books with a group of like-minded individuals is wonderful.  I do find that people's eyes glaze over after an hour or so of me waxing lyrical on plots and characters and phrasing and rhythm.  I can't think why!

We are asked to take with us multiple copies of the drafts we have already written.  These are, I suppose, to be shared around for feedback.  This would be a marvellous idea if it wasn't for the fact that I have a severe case of writer's block - hence the title of today's piece.  I am astounded by the fact that, as a woman who has read more books than she has had hot dinners - and that probably isn't an exaggeration - I am struggling to find a reason why a woman who has distanced herself from her family because she is ashamed of her roots, will feel compelled to re-establish contact following the receipt of a letter from her nephew.  Other than the impending death of a family member (parents are already dead, so it can't be one of them), which is a little well-used, I am still stumped. Bizarre!  It's obviously playing on my mind because last night I dreamt that I'd come up with the perfect reason and had written it down.  On waking this morning, I remember having that dream; I remember dreaming that I waved at my elderly disabled neighbour when he was brought home by the out-patient ambulance with an orange blanket tucked round his legs.  Do you think I can remember what this perfect plot was?  Any helpful hints can be left in the comments box at the end of this posting.  PLEASE! And keep them clean ... I've got enough to deal with.

To close - really writing this post is simply further procrastination and I must enforce some discipline on my errant grey matter - I must just add that Joanna is home from Glamorgan Uni for the weekend and my heart lifted with maternal joy yesterday evening to have both of my little girls seated round the dinner table.  Their banter and laughter and happiness at being together was brought to an abrupt end at bedtime with a fight over who was washing up and a further verbal tussle over who has possession of their shared car when Natasha has taken - and passed - her driving test at Easter.  Scowling, tired faces stomped up the stairs and I was left without a goodnight kiss.  It was good to have things back to normal.  They're still lovely when they're asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment