Sunday 10 July 2011

Ups, Downs and Seeing the Signs

I've been pondering what to write in this post.  Work-wise this week has surpassed itself in its gobsmacking unreality.  Someone I work with is a badly-drawn caricature.  I try to find the good in all people and situations, but this person is just beyond redemption.  And that they can get away with the sort of behaviour on display in the past few days and not be brought up before more tribunals than the Courts in the UK and Europe could shake a stick at just leaves me speechless.  There is more spite and venom contained in that small body than the most poisonous snake.  Nasty, nasty, nasty.  I felt sullied just breathing the same air.  I had been wondering about my decision to look for pastures new.  This week has confirmed for me in no uncertain terms that the escape tunnel is not being decommissioned.  For the love of God, let me find a new job.  The sign has been made neon.  I get it.  I'm going.

However, on a writing note, what a fab week!  I read one of my stories at this week's meeting of the VWC.  A short story entitled 'The Appointment'.  It takes place in a doctors' surgery, the main protagonists being a receptionist and someone who comes in for, appropriately and unsurprisingly enough, an appointment.  I can't think where I get my ideas.  I liked it, secretly thought it wasn't too shoddy and hoped it would pass muster.  Despite a somewhat constricted delivery (the terror of reading aloud to a bunch of very good writers leaves me with a complete inability to draw any air at all into my lungs), I'm thrilled to report that people laughed in the right places and I got some lovely comments.  To misquote Sally Field, 'They liked it!  They really liked it!'.  I can't tell you the pride and joy that filled my not inconsiderable breastal area.

My self belief was further boosted the following evening at the launch party for VWC's anthology 'The Archangel and the White Hart' (currently in stock at Waterstone's in St Albans and a jolly good read).  One of the Circle members happened to mention that he'd been reading my blog and thought it was really good!  I was thrilled on many levels - one being that I now have proof I'm not just nattering to myself (which was what I suspected, but didn't like to peer at too closely) and there are indeed people out there reading this, but also that they liked it!  Dave, bless your cotton socks, you made my evening!

My name is Danielle and I am a writer.  And I'm not bad!  Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment